More than two months after a University of Wisconsin-Stout student from Saudi Arabia was beaten to death in downtown Menomonie, a Minnesota man with a history of domestic violence has been charged with felony murder in the case, according to a criminal complaint filed in Dunn County Circuit Court.
Cullen M. Osburn, 27, of Minneapolis, faces felony murder and battery charges in the beating of student Hussain Saeed Alnahdi, 24, as bars were closing early Oct. 30 in the Menomonie entertainment district. Alnahdi died the next day from a brain injury.
Osburn, who is not a student at UW-Stout, was being held in the Hennepin County Jail in the Twin Cities on Friday, awaiting extradition early next week, after St. Paul police arrested him Thursday. Osburn previously has been convicted of multiple felonies, including domestic assault and related charges of failure to abide by court orders not to contact his victims.
While Menomonie police said in the days after the beating that they did not have a suspect, they had phone contact with Osburn on Nov. 2 and Nov. 3, when Osburn called a Menomonie police investigator who had been interviewing Osburn’s friends and family in Minnesota on those days, according to the criminal complaint.
Osburn acknowledged to the investigator that he had been in a fight with Alnahdi, said he was scared, and promised to cooperate fully as long as his attorney was present. But then he disappeared, the complaint says.
Osburn’s criminal record goes back to his teen years.
As an 18-year-old, Osburn was charged in suburban Minneapolis with making a terroristic threat after he allegedly tried to strangle his 16-year-old girlfriend, who had been trying to end their relationship, and told her he would “cut her face so no one would want her” when she refused his sexual advances. The girl alleged that Osburn told her his “dream suicide moment” would be for him to show up at her house with a gun and engage in a shoot-out with police.
SOURCE: Karen Herzog
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel