New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman has lymphoma and will soon begin treatment, and he said he is encouraged by the prognosis.
Gettleman, hired in the offseason to replace Jerry Reese, released a statement Tuesday about his health. He said he recently “underwent an annual physical, during which it was discovered I have lymphoma. Over the past week, I have undergone more testing to determine the course of treatment, which is scheduled to start in the very near future.
“The doctor’s outlook for the treatment and the prognosis is positive, and so am I.”
Gettleman said he plans to continue working “as much as the treatment process will allow.”
The 67-year-old Gettleman formerly was GM with the Carolina Panthers.
When Gettleman was hired by New York in December, he said, “My plan is to come in here every day and kick (butt). That’s my plan, OK? And I’m going to keep doing it until they either take my key card or the Lord calls me home.”
Before joining the Panthers in 2013, Gettleman was a Giants personnel executive for 15 years. He was on the staff when the team won Super Bowls for the 2007 and 2011 seasons — two of the seven Super Bowls in which Gettleman has been a part in his 30-year NFL career.
In his four seasons as Carolina’s general manager, the Panthers won 40 games and three NFC South titles. They lost in the 50th Super Bowl to Denver after finishing 15-1, the best record in the league. For 2015, Gettleman was voted The Sporting News’ NFL Executive of the Year.
At the end of his statement in which he also thanked Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch for their support and encouragement, Gettleman added: “I look forward to being back at full strength and devoting all my energy to helping make this 2018 New York Giants team the best it can be.”
Assistant general manager Kevin Abrams is likely to assume some of Gettleman’s duties while the GM is undergoing treatments.
For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
SOURCE: Associated Press
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, and you know that you do not have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, here is how you can trust Jesus Christ as your Saviour and be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you!