A former nurse has set up one of the world’s first dog hospices – where pooches are allowed steak dinners and drive-thrus at McDonald’s in their final days.
Nicola Coyle runs the Grey Muzzle Canine Hospice Project – for dogs which are expected to have around six months to live – from her home in Mansfield.
Nicola, 46, who aims to ensure the animals get a ‘nice ending’, told the Nottingham Post : “It can be an utterly heartbreaking job.
“But I just can’t bear the thought of them spending their final moments without the love they deserve.
“If they’re well enough, we take them for a day at the seaside, they get fish and chips on the beach and ice cream.
“We’ll also take them down to the local pub – it’s really dog friendly, and they’ll get a steak dinner too.”
The dogs Nicola takes in come from kennels, vet surgeries or charities, where they might otherwise expect to be put down within seven days if not rehomed.
The mum-of-two helps them complete a bucket list, taking them for ice creams on the beach and throwing birthday parties.
Nicola spends up to £500 per dog from her own pocket or through fundraising.
She has rescued so many pooches there is no space left in her garden for their remains. Instead, she keeps them in urns in a room she has turned into a memorial.
With the help of her children, Harvey, 14, and Olivia, 15, she has cared for more than 30 from her home – and hopes to one day open a purpose-built hospice.
She set up the project after witnessing the heartbreak of dogs dumped after owners could no longer afford vet bills.
Nicola said: “Many have not led a very nice life too, used for breeding or guard dogs, so when they’ve become unwell, they’re not useful any more and left.
“The longest I had one is one year, the shortest was two weeks. It’s so rewarding when you can make those times special.
“I don’t know when their birthdays are so we throw all of them a birthday party.
“They just want to feel loved and safe. I really believe they should get a nice ending.”
SOURCE: Mirror UK
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, and you know that you do not have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, here is how you can trust Jesus Christ as your Saviour and be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you!