At least two teenagers in the Gaza Strip have been killed by Israeli air raids, according to Palestinian health officials, as Israel carried out the largest daylight attack on the besieged enclave since the 2014 war.
Amir al-Nimri, 15, and Luay Kaheel, 16, died of their wounds on Saturday shortly after an air strike targeted al-Kutaiba, an area in western Gaza, the health ministry said.
Twelve others were wounded by the attack.
The al-Kutaiba square is adjacent to a park frequently visited by families over the weekend, especially during the summer months, witnesses told Al Jazeera.
“That’s why so many civilians have been hurt in the latest strike,” Maram Humaid, a journalist in Gaza, said.
In a Twitter post, the Israeli military confirmed it targeted a “high-rise building” and said it had “warned” residents to evacuate prior to the attack.
Witnesses told Al Jazeera that the two teenagers who lost their lives were playing on the roof of the semi-abandoned building and described a scene where “there was glass everywhere”.
Two other people were wounded in earlier Israeli air raids, which targeted several neighbourhoods in Gaza, raising the total figure of those hurt to 14.
Following the attack on al-Kutaiba, a ceasefire agreement was reached through international and regional mediation efforts, Palestinian officials said on Saturday.
In a Twitter post, Hamas, the group governing the Gaza Strip, said the efforts of “several parties” including neighbouring Egypt succeeded in implementing a lasting ceasefire.
There has been no immediate confirmation from the Israeli side.
Earlier in the day, it said it attacked several Hamas positions in the Gaza Strip, as dozens rockets and mortars were fired towards Israel from the besieged enclave.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera