Tests Show E Coli Killed Two British Tourists in Egypt

Egypt’s chief prosecutor has said tests have shown that E coli bacteria caused the deaths of two British tourists who were staying in a hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada.

The travel company Thomas Cook said last week that high levels of E coli and bacteria that can cause toxic shock syndrome were found at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel where John and Susan Cooper, aged 69 and 63, were staying on holiday when they died on 21 August.

The Egyptian prosecutor Nabil Sadek said on Wednesday that forensic tests showed that John Cooper suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by E coli, and Susan Cooper suffered haemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), probably because of E coli.

He said the couple’s bodies showed “no criminal violence” and other tests on air and water at the hotel found nothing unusual.

Thomas Cook evacuated 300 guests from the hotel as a precaution after the Coopers died.

The Coopers’ daughter, Kelly Ormerod, who was with them the night before they died, has said they used perfume to cover up a strange odour in the room.

Thomas Cook said it was clear that “something went wrong in August at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada and that standards fell below what we expect from our hotel partners”.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: The Guardian, Haroon Siddique