Luis Ortiz stepped into the shadow of the Green Monster at Fenway Park in Boston 25 years ago to make his Major League debut with the Red Sox.
Ortiz’s career as a player, shortened by injuries and a playing field that wasn’t always level, never blossomed. In an era when steroids abounded, Ortiz refused to take shortcuts to success.
Tuesday night (Oct. 23), Ortiz stepped onto the field in Fenway Park once more, this time as the assistant hitting coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers — his childhood dream of making it to the World Series finally realized. The Dodgers lost 8-4 in the opening game of the series. They play again tonight.
Ortiz was a member of the Texas Rangers organization that made the World Series in 2010 and 2011, and he earned a World Series ring then. But this time he’s actually in the dugout and in uniform as the Dodgers and Red Sox square off in the Fall Classic.
“You play professionally, and you think you’re going to play in the big leagues and then eventually you’re going to go to the World Series,” Ortiz said. “And 25 years later, this is the first time that really, really happens.”
A product of Union University, affiliated with the Tennessee Baptist Convention, the native of the Dominican Republic said he grew up in a predominantly Catholic environment. But it was at Union, when he started going to chapel and encountering people with a more vibrant Christian faith, that he began to grow in his relationship with the Lord.
It wasn’t an instant transformation, but more of a process.
“My wife helped me with that, and my friends and Union, and examples of some of the godly men who I was exposed to there,” Ortiz said. “And since then I try to live it every day.”
Ortiz and his wife Susan, whom he met at Union, have been members of Colleyville Presbyterian Church in Colleyville, Texas, for more than two decades.
Source: Baptist Press
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, and you know that you do not have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, here is how you can trust Jesus Christ as your Saviour and be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you!