A third grade class in Alabama has gone viral for their special ‘classroom edition’ of Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus’ song Old Town Road.
The kids’ teacher, Jasmine Amani Merlette, works hard to keep her class engaged and interested in learning.
So ahead of a big math test, the 23-year-old first-year teacher came up with new lyrics to the popular song and taught her eight and nine-year-olds — who perfectly performed the song in a now-viral video.
Ms. Merlette’s class at Sun Valley Elementary School in Birmingham, Alabama was clearly excited about the song, which she filmed them singing last month.
‘A day in the life of Ms. Merlette,’ she captioned the video on Facebook, adding a string of hashtags: #MyClassHasBarsss #TurntUpTuesday #ThisIsOURJam #WeKILTOurStateTest #ThirdGradeShawty #YoFavoriteTeacher.
As the video begins, the boys and girls are all grinning and obviously thrilled to be singing Ms. Merlette’s special lyrics.
‘I’m gonna ace my test, I’m gonna raise my score, I’m gonna solve ’til I can’t no more,’ they sing in a new version of Billy Ray Cyrus’ chorus.
Switching to Lil Nas X’s part, they sing: ‘I got the answers in the back, scratch work is attached, pencils in my bag and I’m solvin’ mighty fast.
‘School is my task! I can do this math really quick and fast, education is that swag.
‘Can’t nobody stop me from learning, can’t stop me from learning. The wheels in my head keep churning, they just keep on churning.’
Since she posted the video on April 30, it’s been viewed 21,000 times on her page — and another five million times on the Twitter account @cocoabutterbf.
The video has continued to spread, bringing the class international attention.
Speaking to AL.com, Ms. Merlette said it’s important for her to let the kids have a say in class. She knows they like rap, so in addition to making this video, she taught them verbs and adjectives through rap battles.
‘They can have fun while learning because they deserve it. All children should because they are still children,’ she said.
‘They need us to never give up on them. Ever. We need to make sure we are doing everything we can to make learning fun and exciting for them by incorporating things they love into the curriculum, into the content, into the lessons, and into everything that is involved in schools.’
Speaking to the local Fox affiliate WBRC, she said that she’s now seen other classrooms singing her song since it went viral.
It’s even reached the singers of the original song: Billy Ray Cyrus retweeted it, and Lil Nas X gave it a shoutout on Twitter.
‘I’m cheesing hard as hell watching this. this beautiful lol,’ he wrote.
Ms. Merlette says that the rapper’s attention was the most exciting part for her students.
‘The best moment was when one of my students said, “Ms. Merlette, he saw our classroom. He saw us in our element,”‘ she said.
‘And to me that was the biggest moment ever because this is about them, this is for them. They deserve everything that is coming their way.’
She also noted that all that hard work paid off: Her kids did quite well on the math test they were studying for.
‘They killed that test. So really, I am so proud of them,’ she said.
SOURCE: Daily Mail, Carly Stern
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you don’t have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, if you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, here is how you can be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless!