Chicago Cubs outfielder Albert Almora reacted as any parent might as a foul ball he hit in Wednesday night’s game against the Houston Astros struck a young girl in the stands.
Almora, a father of two, immediately put his hands on top of his head, then sunk to a knee on the ground as play came to a halt. Teammate Jason Heyward put his arm on Almora’s shoulders and Cubs manager Joe Maddon came out of the dugout to offer words of support.
Even though all major league teams have extended the protective netting around home plate in recent years, they can’t prevent all incidents like this one.
Awful scene in the Cubs/Astros game. A small kid was struck with the baseball in the stands. Almora Jr's reaction says it all. Prayers up. pic.twitter.com/fLAdwlsAVi
— Evan Daniel (@mrevandaniel) May 30, 2019
A visibly shaken Almora struck out on the next pitch. And on his way out to take his position in center field between innings he stopped by the area of the stands where the child was sitting.
There, he was consoled by a security guard as he began crying and covering his face with his glove.
After Albert Almora Jr. struck a young fan with a foul ball, in between innings he went immediately over to that section to ask about the situation. You can see he is overwhelmed with emotion as him and the security guard have a moment. This is just a terrible & sad situation. pic.twitter.com/Yh3wWmDjhx
— Cubs Live (@Cubs_Live) May 30, 2019
A fan who retrieved the foul ball, David LeVasseur, told the Houston Chronicle the baseball had no traces of blood on it.
“All we heard was screaming,” said LeVasseur, 26. “We saw this dad pick up a child and run up the stairs. He took off running.”
“I (came) upstairs and see the first-aid guys up there and the dad is holding the girl. She (was) alert, she’s conscious, she’s fine. I was just going to give somebody in the family the ball. They kind of, naturally, shook it off. I asked the first-aid guy if she was OK and he said he didn’t know.”
An eyewitness at the game posted to Reddit the child who was hit is a 4-year-old girl. And according to a security guard, the girl was alert but was taken to a hospital as a precaution.
Just saw this pop up on Reddit. Praying it’s true pic.twitter.com/DWz2ansonH
— David Mendez (@Babydocdave) May 30, 2019
The Astros released a statement on Twitter, saying, “The young fan that was struck by a foul ball during tonight’s game was taken to the hospital. We are not able to disclose any further details at this time. The Astros send our thoughts and prayers to the entire family.”
The Astros released the following statement. Our thoughts are with the entire family. pic.twitter.com/f1VGVP1kiu
— Houston Astros (@astros) May 30, 2019
SOURCE: USA Today – Steve Gardner
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you don’t have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, if you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, here is how you can be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless!