A minor league baseball player whose wife, 14-month-old son and mother-in-law were tragically killed last year, shared how God is comforting him during the hardest experience of his life and how he’s overcoming Satan’s attempt to destroy him.
Blake Bivens, a 24-year-old pitcher in the Tampa Bay Rays farm system, sat down with Pastor Travis Gore from the River Church in Danville, Virginia, last Sunday for a lengthy interview to finish out the pastor’s sermon series titled “Storms.”
Last August, Bivens entered the toughest storm of his life when he found out while on the road in Tennessee for an away game that three of the most important people in his life were taken from him in a triple homicide committed by his brother-in-law.
“I think the greatest comfort for me has been knowing without a shadow of a doubt where my family is,” said Bivens, who has attended River Church since his childhood. “I know they are in the arms of Jesus. They are waiting for me to be there with them. Knowing that in our hearts has been the greatest comfort to us. It’s been amazing how the Lord has helped and gave us peace through everything.”
Bivens said the hardest moment for him during the ordeal was after he returned home following the news that his loved ones had been murdered. He said he walked into his son’s bedroom and realized he was never going to see him again in this life.
“That was the worst moment of my life,” Bivens said. “Nothing ever will come close to feeling the way I felt that day at that moment. Then again, I know I will see him again one day and it won’t be long.”
Gore noted during the talk that Bivens had previously testified at church that he’s finally able to “laugh at the devil’s plan.”
“We know Emily [wife] and Cullen [son] are beyond [Satan’s] grasp now,” Bivens said. “I just felt like this whole ordeal had just been a ploy from the enemy to destroy me and destroy my family and just drag us down.”
Gore recalled one day when he read John 16:33. In the verse, Jesus states: “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
“When I read ‘take heart for I have overcome the world,’ it completely flipped the switch in my heart,” Bivens told the pastor. “I knew from that moment on, this was not going to beat me, this was not going to beat my family. I was going to live in victory for the rest of my life and I was going to use this as a testimony to show that what He has done for me, he can also do for others.”
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Christian Post, Samuel Smith
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you don’t have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, if you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, here is how you can be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless!