A teen has revealed the ‘unwritten rules’ his mother makes him follow as a young black man in a viral video that highlights white privilege and racial injustice.
In the video, he lists the rules his mom has instilled in him because of the color of his skin, from always having a receipt for his purchases to never talking back to a police officer.
‘Don’t put your hands in your pockets. Don’t put your hoody on. Don’t be outside with no shirt on,’ he says at the start of the clip. ‘Check in with your people; it don’t matter even if you’re down the street. Don’t be out too late.’
Welch goes on to explain that he has to take extra care when he is in a store, out in public, and even driving his own car.
‘Don’t touch anything you’re not buying. Never leave the store without a receipt or a bag, even if it’s just a pack of gum,’ he says. ‘Never make it look like there is an altercation between you and someone else. Never leave the house without your ID.
‘Don’t drive with a wife-beater on. Don’t drive with a do-rag on. Don’t go out in public with neither. Don’t ride with the music too loud. Don’t stare at a caucasian woman.
‘If a cop stops you randomly and starts questioning you, don’t talk back. Just compromise,’ he adds. ‘If you ever get pulled over, hands on the dashboard and ask could you get out your license and registration.’
The video has been viewed more than 8.2 million times and has received over 40,000 comments about the injustice in America.
‘I am so sorry. America has failed,’ one TikTok user commented, while someone shared: ‘The fact that you can’t just live your life is sickening.’
Others shared that their mothers have taught them the same things, with one person responding: ‘We shouldn’t have to live like this.’
Welch’s video came just a few day after Floyd, 46, died in police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on May 25.
After he was arrested for allegedly using counterfeit $20 bill at a deli, white officer Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes. Floyd became unresponsive and was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
Chauvin has since been taken into police custody and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.
Welch told BuzzFeed News that he shared the clip because he wants people to understand the rules his mother had to instill in him because he is black.
‘Our voices are heard but not felt by the people. We endure too much pain and hurt to just be heard — we need you to feel just a fragment of what my people feel on a day-to-day basis in order to get meaningful change,’ he said.
‘I believe if you felt the bottled-up emotions of silence that our country makes us hold in, then we can make real change, because not one race should ever feel this way.’
SOURCE: Daily Mail, Erica Tempesta
A love letter to the viewer,
If you know that you don’t have a home in Heaven waiting for you when you die, if you know that you have not trusted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, here is how you can be saved today and have a home in Heaven when you die,
- First, please understand that you are a sinner, just as I am, and that you have broken God’s laws. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
- Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your Salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulations on trusting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. You have done the most important thing in life. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to GospelLightSociety.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door“. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless!