Total Time: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes: 6 servings
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place short ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 30-40 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until tender, 10-12 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in water and wine. Add bouillon and parsley, stirring to dissolve bouillon.
- Transfer ribs to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove short ribs; keep warm. Skim fat from sauce; stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with ribs.
SOURCE: Taste of Home