Two people associated with an American missionary group seized in a mass kidnapping in Haiti more than a month ago have been released, the organization said Sunday.
The hostages were among 17 people kidnapped by a notorious Haitian gang on Oct. 16 as they paid a visit to an orphanage outside the capital, Port-au-Prince.
In announcing that two of them had been released, the Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries urged discretion to protect those still in the hands of the gang members.
“We cannot provide or confirm the names of those released, the reasons for their release, where they are from, or their current location,” the group said. “We ask that those who have more specific information about the release and the individuals involved would safeguard that information.”
The group, which included 16 Americans and one Canadian, had been working with Christian Aid Ministries before being abducted by one of Haiti’s most fearsome gangs, 400 Mawozo, which is infamous for orchestrating mass kidnapping.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: The New York Times, Maria Abi-Habib and Oscar Lopez